Over the past three and a half years I have written about my personal dining experiences from England and around the world. My collection will continue for as long as I have a passion for great food, travel and good company. My reviews are much more personal then you would normally find as I focus on the company as much as I do on the food.

I am hoping that those featured in my collection will be taken back to the moment and also on the memories they have from that day/night.

I am not a "margarita pizza" kind of girl when it comes to trying new foods. There are of course tastes I will sample once and never again - such as a battered chickens foot, however it is all about the experience of tasting something new and making up your own mind

I love food and writing and I hope this comes through when reading my blog. The aim of it is simply to make you smile

All the best

Morelle

“A perfect lazy Sunday Lunch” The North London Tavern January 2009

I wanted to add the North London Tavern into my collection as Kilburn where it is situated will always be remembered as my first home in London. There is no exaggeration when I say we lived behind the pub. No Iie, I used to go to sleep at night to the sound of the glass bottles crashing as they were being emptied into the bins outside!
It wasn’t a planned outing to the pub. One of my best friends Abby and I had been on a winter walk around Hampstead Heath and built up an appetite... although it did come naturally with a hangover on a Sunday. I think ravenous is the word I am looking for. Armed with my "News of the world" Sunday paper we prepared ourselves for a long and lazy, surprisingly non boozy afternoon. I do love a sneaky cider when I go to the pub and call it my guilty pleasure. I have actually asked for it in a wine glass on previous occasions so I don't get the stares when I am lugging round a pint glass full of the stuff!  Conveniently placed by our choice of seating was a copy of "The Sunday Times"- which was left by another diner- including the abundance of supplements draped over the table.
The pub is a dark cosy atmosphere. It is a great find away from the hustle and bustle and yes bartering that happens on Kilburn high road. It is even a little out of place you could say.
I ordered braised beef stew with mashed potato, baby onions and celery and Abby ordered Roast chicken, Yorkshire puddings, roast vegetable and gravy. Both meals were reasonably priced at £12.50. As this is known as a gastro pub- the prices are a little more inflated than your average boozer. I would have normally gone for a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon to go with my food- however the mood, food and the company was good enough for me. The service was speedy and we were both impressed with the food. The beef was tender and the rich red wine infused jus went perfectly with the sweet baby onions. Abby’s portion was massive- it was a hearty plate of crispy skinned roast chicken, savoy cabbage, roasted parsnips, carrots, broccoli, roast potatoes and gravy..and Yorkshire pudding.
Knife and forks down and clean plates, we cast our eyes over the dessert menu. My choice would have been Apple crumble and ice-cream and Abby’s chocolate brownie, chocolate sauce and crème cantily- but we were both officially stuffed so started our silent paper reading session. We stayed in our seats for a good few hours all in all.
The pub was filled with a mixture of couples, friends and locals all enjoying each other’s company. It was an enjoyable meal and I can see this pub continuing to thrive over the next few years. Lazy Sundays are what it is all about and this one hit the spot for me.


http://www.northlondontavern.co.uk/

North London Tavern   |   375 Kilburn High Road, London, NW6 7QB   |   Tel: 020 7625 6634


No comments:

Post a Comment