Over the past three and a half years I have written about my personal dining experiences from England and around the world. My collection will continue for as long as I have a passion for great food, travel and good company. My reviews are much more personal then you would normally find as I focus on the company as much as I do on the food.

I am hoping that those featured in my collection will be taken back to the moment and also on the memories they have from that day/night.

I am not a "margarita pizza" kind of girl when it comes to trying new foods. There are of course tastes I will sample once and never again - such as a battered chickens foot, however it is all about the experience of tasting something new and making up your own mind

I love food and writing and I hope this comes through when reading my blog. The aim of it is simply to make you smile

All the best

Morelle

"Is Everything Ok For You" Sukhothai July 2011 Leeds

I was back in Leeds in late July for another fix of family time. Saturday night was reserved for a chance to catch up with a couple of the wonderful girls who I used to work with. I love hearing a bit of Northern twang; after all, I am living down south now. Back in Leeds, we were an office full of opinionated women bar one guy at that time in our department. We often used the phrase "Patrick- earmuffs please" whenever we used to have our girlie 'loud mouth' conversations about all the things that make men feel very uncomfortable! He was a good sport really!

I worked for a local estate agent for almost 3 years and most of the time we got on like a house on fire.  Obviously you do get some office politics from time to time but it wouldn't be normal if there wasn’t. I had not seen Zoe or Susie since November last year so we basically had over 6 months nattering and catching up to do. It was great to reminisce and have a good old chinwag. We met for a cheeky pre dinner drink at Zed Bar accross the road.
 
Sukhothai is a very popular restaurant in North Leeds. It is owned by a couple who have turned the 9 year old restaurant into a very successful business, now with 3 locations. The staff are immaculately dressed in silk kimonos with chopsticks in their hair, the men wearing the equivalent attire minus the chopsticks of course ! The name Sukkothai - meaning the dawn of happiness is actually is the place where the owner of the restaurant grew up and is situated just north of Bangkok.
 
There are approximately 175 dishes on the menu and this really is authentic Thai cuisine. The staff are ultra friendly and would be happy to advise and recommend on dishes that might suit your individual palette . Our waitress must have asked us if "everything was ok" about 12 times bless her.
 
All dishes are made without MSG, so any selection from the menu will be fragrant and fresh, with tastes which will transport you to the Far East.. well after a few bottles of wine at least :) The Thai flavour is made up of a mixture of sweet, sour, spicy and salt flavours.
 
With two bottles of white vino already passed on our agenda, we went for the easy option which was a set menu for 3 of 4 courses.  Zoe made a 9pm booking as we knew we would still be chatting until cows came home, and indeed she timed it right  as we were the last ones in there, past closing time - aside from the staff who were all relaxing after their evenings shift,  all sat down to eat their supper together. If the Thai staff are all eating the food then you know it must be good!

Here is a list of what we had- with the Thai name and all- you will have fun saying these names out loud.

 Khow Kreb Tod. Deep fried prawn crackers with sweet chili sauce.


Satay Gai -Marinated chicken grilled and served with peanut sauce.

Gung Chup Pang Tod- Tiger prawns in crispy batter served in sweet chili sauce.


Tom yum Gai- spicy hot and sour chicken soup.
(Susie who has been to Thailand quite a few times now makes this authentic dish at home and she must be quite good at it because on tasting it she said "ooh it tastes just like mine") :)

Gang mansaman Gai. Chicken in a rich coconut sauce with peanut and potato-


Pad Gratium Prik Tai Gung.Prawns marinated in spices served with Garlic and pepper.


Khao Suay. Jasmine rice


Thai custard and coffee or tea.

The pretty interior is calm and relaxed with a beautiful water feature at the back of the restaurant. Saturday night is rammed so I do advise that booking is a must in order to avoid disappointment. 
They also offer a catering service which could actually come in handy for a party, which will dazzle your guests taste buds.
We carried the night on across the road in a couple of the local bars in Chapel Allerton. I had forgotten after not living at home for 3 years that I didn't tell my mum I was going out after dinner. I had 6 missed calls on my phone asking me where i had got too,when I arrived home after 1.30am  :) 
I recommend this restaurant for a taste of the Orient. 






CHAPEL ALLERTON: 8 Regent Street, Chapel Allerton, Leeds, LS7 4PE
Tel: 0113 237 0141

No comments:

Post a Comment