Over the past three and a half years I have written about my personal dining experiences from England and around the world. My collection will continue for as long as I have a passion for great food, travel and good company. My reviews are much more personal then you would normally find as I focus on the company as much as I do on the food.

I am hoping that those featured in my collection will be taken back to the moment and also on the memories they have from that day/night.

I am not a "margarita pizza" kind of girl when it comes to trying new foods. There are of course tastes I will sample once and never again - such as a battered chickens foot, however it is all about the experience of tasting something new and making up your own mind

I love food and writing and I hope this comes through when reading my blog. The aim of it is simply to make you smile

All the best

Morelle

“Ladies in New York” January 2008

This was the last night of my holiday in New York City with my fabulous friend Nicola. We had booked a spontaneous trip away  in order to beat the January blues. If you do head to New York in January- please invest in a warm coat as you will need it! Nicola has a true love for New York and she prewarned me that this was going to be an energetic, eventful week and it definitely was.

If I take you back to the night, we got a taxi from Brooklyn to Soho as we were attending a soiree/drinks party at a trendy converted loft apartment on Lafayette Street. Wearing our new purchases each with a new LBD a lady on the door took our coats and after mingling with the host and the crowd, we got our tastebuds going with great wine and olives. We had arrived fashionably late and had missed the in-house chef who cooked up pasta for the guests. As we hadn’t pre arranged our dinner plans, we asked some New Yorkers from the party if there was anything close by.  At least six recommendations later we chose to eat at Le Esquina as our last meal in the city. It was conveniently placed underneath the loft apartment.

The restaurant was intimately sized and a warm, sexy, glowy atmosphere flowed through the room. Although I must say there is a strange choice of artwork on the walls. See my photo below!


 A mixture of friends and couples filled each table. The menu was set out with just enough dishes to tempt. However, I was feeling indecisive but adventurous so I asked for a waiter –who Nic had commented on how aesthetically pleasing he was to the eye to choose 2 dishes for us to share.Without hesitation the chef was cooking our Sirloin Steak and Shrimp.  Although the restaurant is Mexican, there were none of the typical dishes you would expect to see on the menu.  It can only be described as uniquely chosen ingredients infused delicately with real Mexican flavours.

My main Course chosen from the grill was large shelled giant shrimp, chargriddled with a squeeze of fresh lime sitting on a bed of Mexican slaw. Nicola's choice was sirloin steak- cooked medium well (Nicolas choice) with chipotle salsa, Mexican rice and black beans on a bed of green leaf salad. The salsa added a delicate heat to the dish. The portions were enough for us to feel satisfied but not stuffed as I like to say. A dessert was calling out our name and we went for a chocolate soufflé infused with cinnamon and espresso with mascarpone ice-cream and mint leaves baked in a terracotta pot. It was surprising that no alcohol was involved but we made a "Le Chaim" with our silver spoons and took our first mouthful at the same time. Crunchy base, gooey warm centre and cool ice-cream on the palette. Silence as we let the taste go down. We looked at each other’s reaction and knew we were on the same wavelength – as the hot and cold thing put a spine tingling smile to our faces. We started to laugh uncontrollably and noticed that the tables were turning round to see what was so amusing- their faces left wondering, especially as there were no empty tequila glasses – but just an extra large bottle of mineral water on the table….. We were saving ourselves for later as we knew as it our last night it was going to be a late one. 

The waiter knew by the looks on our faces as he cleared our dessert plates that it was certinaly compliments to the chef. Leaving the restaurant in a fabulous mood, we left an extra large tip to show our gratitude.

Le Esquina also includes the more well known takeaway shop. It’s not too appealing to the eye on the outside but I have heard the food is great. The Street was heaving with the takeaway business

The bill came to $60 for 2. We carried on our night until 4am drinking Donald Trump Vodka, cranberry and lime and Club Home before leaving to fly back to England on the 18th.
esquinanyc.com

114 Kenmare, New York, NY 10012
(between Kenmare & Lafayette)


1 comment:

  1. Oh my this has brought a massive smile to my face!! we did have an incredible time!! love you lots great memeory!! xxx

    ReplyDelete