Over the past three and a half years I have written about my personal dining experiences from England and around the world. My collection will continue for as long as I have a passion for great food, travel and good company. My reviews are much more personal then you would normally find as I focus on the company as much as I do on the food.

I am hoping that those featured in my collection will be taken back to the moment and also on the memories they have from that day/night.

I am not a "margarita pizza" kind of girl when it comes to trying new foods. There are of course tastes I will sample once and never again - such as a battered chickens foot, however it is all about the experience of tasting something new and making up your own mind

I love food and writing and I hope this comes through when reading my blog. The aim of it is simply to make you smile

All the best

Morelle

"More bread please" La Grillarde Leeds 28th May 2011

I couldn't leave my home town of Leeds out of my worldly food collection- it just wouldn't sit right! An unplanned evening with a trip to this delightful French restaurant with my brother and his wife I had booked a 2 day trip back home to catch up with family. As I live in London I tried to come home once a month for home comforts and catch ups. My brother takes my wonderful Grandma to La Grillarde and she absolutely loves it. She says "are we going down the steps tonight"! The table was booked for 8pm and we went "down the steps" as the restaurant is lower ground. Away from the dreary rainy Saturday night you enter the restaurant and see pristine white tablecloths, shiny tiled flooring and low ceilings. The restaurant is deceivingly larger to the immediate eye.

The waiter who of course knew my brother- he is known for his love of eating out (fressing) and wining and dining. He always spoils me :) The waiter said he was a lucky man dining with 2 ladies for the evening. I would say this is traditional service with smart waistcoat dressed staff, immaculate etiquette and manners, attentiveness and all having good knowledge about the food on offer.

La Grillarde House red on order with 3 glasses we quickly browsed the menu. As this is typical French cuisine- frogs legs and all I highly doubt the menu has diversified in the 30 years the restaurant opened its doors. This is a good thing as it is a sign that the food is established and almost matures with age- just like a vintage wine :) I know my brother in law James would like that comment.

After bread basket number 2, we ordered our mains. Who can resist crusty French bread and rich President butter.

It sounds strange but everyone that knows this restaurant raves about the crudites to start with. It sounds like something you would normally save for a pre dinner drinks but this is crudites like you have never seen before. A huge wicker basket arrives at the table with a selection of carrots, celery, chicory, cabbage, peppers, tomato, celeriac, spring onion and cucumber served with various homemade dressings for dipping.

A perfect starter to share as the man sized mains were to follow.

Chateau Briand of fillet steak was the choice for my brother and I to share-this was served medium rare with frites and salad with French dressing.

Duck A L'A Orange- which is something my dad normally goes for.
A wooden board arrived with sliced fillet steak cooked to perfection- uncomplicated, simply cooked food with extra skinny frites and very strong French Mustard.

The duck had a crispy skin and was intentionally cooked through - it was still sweet and rich in flavour and pink blushing duck meat would not have suited this dish.

The red wine was going down a treat and we were positively stuffed but a tempt of the cheese board was too hard to resist...with yes another bread basket. We chose a selection of 3 cheeses including brie and my brothers favourite - Camembert calvados- which is infused with apple brandy. A quick double espresso shot and we were good to go. A great place to enjoy high quality french cuisine surprisingly served with a smile. :)

http://www.lagrillade.co.uk/

27 Wellington Street
Leeds LS1 4EA 0113 245 9707







No comments:

Post a Comment