Over the past three and a half years I have written about my personal dining experiences from England and around the world. My collection will continue for as long as I have a passion for great food, travel and good company. My reviews are much more personal then you would normally find as I focus on the company as much as I do on the food.

I am hoping that those featured in my collection will be taken back to the moment and also on the memories they have from that day/night.

I am not a "margarita pizza" kind of girl when it comes to trying new foods. There are of course tastes I will sample once and never again - such as a battered chickens foot, however it is all about the experience of tasting something new and making up your own mind

I love food and writing and I hope this comes through when reading my blog. The aim of it is simply to make you smile

All the best

Morelle

“Mmmm Mmm Mmm Do I Smell Fried Chicken!” Mama’s Food Shop Manhattan June 2012

Since visiting, unfortunately I have heard that Mama's Food Shop has closed down which is a real shame. Although I won't be able to return to try the banana cream pie, I still wanted to share my enjoyable eating experience here.

I had left the “big smoke” after nearly 4 years and arrived at the “big apple.” I was very lucky to embark on a fantastic life opportunity spending the summer months in New York.

The weather in Manhattan is as summer should be. I could finally put my winter boots to bed, after wearing them in the UK all the way from November until June!

Adam and I caught the Subway down to the East Village to meet a friend Brandon for some afternoon drinking in a local garden bar. A few hours later we were ready for an early dinner, so headed a couple of blocks down to Mama’s Food Shop.

Southern food is not a cuisine readily available in London, aside from “The Colonel” at KFC. As much as I secretly enjoy it on the odd occasion, I highly doubt any southern Grandma would count it as authentic!

This casual self-service food shop has been open since 1995. As we walked in I said, “mmm mmm mmm do I smell fried chicken” in my impressive attempt at a southern accent. I then heard customers say, “this is fantastic” with a satisfied expression, as they tucked into their platefuls of homemade style southern comfort food.

There is a feature wall covered from top to bottom with an array of miss matched self portraits, alongside floral patterned curtains, and a pea green ceiling, which make it look like an old fashioned sitting room. You will find hot sauce in glass condiment bottles on the tables, which is an all time southern staple, and poured generously over just about anything...with an exception of the banana cream pie! 

You should only come to Mama’s when you are ready for a tremendously filling meal, as the portions are wholesome and hearty, just as home cooked food should be. For $13.50 I ordered mama’s fried chicken with mashed potatoes, gravy and mac and cheese. Adam ordered the same with sides of broccoli and corn salad so we could share. The perfectly cooked chicken was indeed “fantastic” just as the other diners had described it. There was a subtle flavour of rosemary on the golden brown crispy coating, leaving tender chicken inside falling off the bone.

Sweetcorn is at its best when in season just like other fruits and vegetables. The salad was fresh and zingy, made with shredded corn off the husk, tomatoes, red onion, herbs and lemon juice making a great accompaniment to the chicken.

Eating a piece of fried chicken simply cannot be done with any airs and graces, as you just have to get right on in there. I for one needed plenty of napkins to wipe my face, hands, dress, legs and anything else near me, as I seem to be a bit of a messy eater!

Fried chicken is just one of mama’s basics she serves up. Others include roasted chicken, pan fried tilapia and meatloaf. There are lots of seasonal and traditional sides such as collard greens, tomato and watermelon salad, beet salad and corn bread just to name a few.

Here I was sat in the quirky east village on my first week back in New York, sipping fiery ginger and mint iced tea, eating southern soul food at its best. The talked about $5 banana cream pie had sadly sold out earlier in the day due to its popular demand.  I will just have to make another visit during my stay, so I can sample the calorific slice of heaven for myself! Note to self that I must pack baby wipes in my handbag next time to avoid any spillages!


mamasfoodshop.com/




200 East 3rd Street, Manhattan, NY 10009, United States
(212) 777-4425

No comments:

Post a Comment